Today, Editor of Modern Wedding DIY shares another DIY wedding cake topper idea as we celebrate the upcoming release of Modern Wedding DIY 4th Edition.
If you are looking for an unusual cake topper that is quick, easy and cute, look no further than these pretty cake flags. These attractive flags look as though they are flapping in the breeze. Simple to make, they are sturdy enough to be used over and over again. They can be made from different widths of masking tape and any selection of fabrics to fit in with your theme.
Materials: 18mm wide masking tape, fine jewellery wire, cotton fabrics, PVA glue, bamboo skewers.
1. Cut a 20cm length of masking tape and attach it to the wrong side of a piece of cotton fabric.
2. Cut the fabric to line up with the edges of the tape. You should now have a strip of tape with fabric attached to one side.
3. Cut a length of wire half the length of the tape.
4. Mark the centre point of the tape and glue the wire with craft glue to one half of the tape.
5. Wait for the glue to get tacky and fold the other half of the cloth-covered tape over on top of the wire. Press together firmly.
6. Cut a V shape into one end of the flag.
7. Wrap the straight end of the tape around the skewer and secure with craft glue.
8. Bend the flag into a curved shape to make it appear that it is blowing in the breeze.
TIP: For quick and easy mini flags, try using double-sided tape and skip having to use craft glue to attach the wire to the flag.