C A C T U S C O O K I E S
Looking to make some tasty treats this summer? These quirky and yummy cactus cookies are perfect for entertaining friends and family over the silly season.
How to make your cactus cookies
You will need:
- Biscuit dough
- Rolling pin
- Cactus cutter or template
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon juice
- Green food colouring
- Black food colouring
- Piping bag with narrow tip
- Baking paper
how to create you cactus cookies
1. Get the ingredients you need ready. Prepare the dough: it should be cooled well to make cutting easy and so it doesn’t distort during baking. The dough will taste even better when spices and other flavours are added to it (e.g. lemon peel, vanilla pulp, or cinnamon).
2. Spread the dough to a thickness of about 5mm.
3. Create a paper template, and use this to cut your cactus shapes from the dough.
4. Bake the cookies at 175°C for 15 minutes. Because each oven is different, check regularly to see if the cookies are a golden brown colour.
5. After baking, the biscuits should be left to cool down before you remove them from the baking paper, otherwise it is easy to break them.
6. Prepare icing with lemon juice and powdered sugar. Make sure it isn’t too fluid so it doesn’t run off of the cookies. To the icing, add some green food colouring.
7. Transfer the frosting to the small piping bag and spread it over the entire surface of the cookies. Wait half an hour for the icing to harden.
8. Add black food colouring to the icing and paint small dashes in any combination you like. Wait until the icing hardens - for best results leave the cookies overnight.
instructions supplied by Da Wanda