Easy DIY Recipes
At home DIY beauty recipes are a fun, affordable and convenient way to keep yourself feeling and looking great on the lead up to the big day. Here are some tried and tested recipes that the Modern Wedding team love that you can try at home!
Hair repairing mask
Keeping your hair shiny, frizz free and full of moisture is so important on the road to your wedding day.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Optional to add 2 eggs and an avocado, which can help in the extra restoration and repairing of damage
- Mix ingredients into a bowl
- Move mix into a pot and heat until the ingredients is melted
- Going from top to bottom, cover your hair with the mask and cover with a shower cap
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse out, and wash if wanted
Dry skin cannot only be uncomfortable and painful, but it can also be the downfall of other beauty products such as makeup or fake tan, and is not the nicest sight. Constantly moisturise to keep your skin glowing.
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup olive oil (or oil of your choice)
- 2 teaspoons of beeswax pellets or 2 large teaspoons of grated beeswax
- 3/8 cup of water (filtered if possible)
- Heat the water until it comes to a boil, and let cool to approx. 80 degrees
- Place the oil and beeswax in a pot and heat over a low temperature until the wax is melted. Cool to 80 degrees again.
- Slowly trickle the oil into the water as you mix in a blender or with a stick blender
- Once all combined, pour into a clean jar and let cool
- Store the moisturiser in the fridge and use within a 1—2 months
Exfoliating sugar scrub
We are constantly told the bad side to sugar consumption, BUT… good news. Sugar is a great scrub to minimise dry and dead skin all over your body.
- ½ cup granulated sugar, either white or brain (preferably organic)
- ½ cup oil (olive or coconut work well)
- Optional to add your choice of essential oils
- 1 small wide jar (mason is great)
- Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container, with mason jar’s working great
- Use 1 tablespoon as needed when showering.
- Scrub well into the skin and rinse.
If you’re like me, you cannot leave home without your lip balm and you have 3 back ups in case (one in your handbag, the office and in the car!) No one likes dry, sore lips, especially not a bride to be!
- 3 tablespoons beeswax pellets
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (or any other e.g. olive, almond)
- Essential or flavour oils (10—20 drops)
- Small container/s
- In a microwavable container, melt the Shea butter, beeswax and coconut oil in increments of 30 seconds, making sure to stir after each
- Stir in the essential/flavour oil
- Carefully pour into little pots/tubes and make sure it is cool before use
Want some more fun DIY ideas? Click here for more!