Make an appointment to see the venue you are interested in and share your ideas with them to see if they are on the same page. Here are a few suggestions:
- Discuss your concept, style and numbers and decide if the reception you have in mind is feasible.
- Where possible ask to see videos and photographs of previous events held at the venue.
- Ask for client references.
- Let the venue operators know about any special requirements you have, such as disabled access needs, specialist equipment, staging or lighting, unusual performances, an early or elaborate set-up, or particular parking needs.
- Ask about venue restrictions - opening times, noise levels, smoking, consumption of alcohol, under-age or child patrons, parking, access for set up, outdoor lighting and/or particular types of performance or equipment.
- Make sure the venue has all the proper licences, permits and insurance.
- Get a detailed costing on the package, including special conditions, cancellation fees and overtime charges.
- If you plan on hiring a popular venue, book well in advance, as good venues in prime locations tend to get hired out months ahead, especially for significant dates.