Unfortunately it happens all too often - you have been ultra careful with your skin for almost a year and ... wham! The day before your wedding unsightly red dots appear on your face, your eyes swell up for no apparent reason or heaven forbid a cold sore arises on your lip!
I'm not telling you this so you have nightmares tonight - I'm letting you in on a few beauty secrets. If your skin has a little freak out just before the big day, you will be armed with these fab tips and most importantly you will relax about it.
The best tip to keeping your skin in tact is not to stress out. It seems like Murphy's Law that your skin looks perfect for so long and then on the morning before you wedding (or on the actual day) you wake up with something going awry on your face. It is interesting that this so called 'bad luck' happens mostly to stressed out brides... let's face it, most brides do stress out just before the wedding. The best way to avoid this pre-wedding, acne producing stress is to meditate, go to Yoga and practice at home or go for long walks or jogs. It is your job to find your own way to destress and put it into action before it's too late.
Now if you didn't head my warning (or you couldn't de-stress quite enough) you may land yourself with a facial crisis before your wedding - here are a few tips to help you in your hour of need.
1. Spotty face! - You can buy over-the-counter spot treatments for your face that have the active ingredient benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. These are great and fast acting, but follow the pharmacy instructions, you don't want to burn your skin.
If you want to put a natural product on your face, try blotting Tea Tree oil on the effected area. Don't blot it more than a few times a day, or you will be left with irritated flaky skin that can't be covered up with makeup.
2. Puffy eyes! - Most of us have heard about using Preparation H for this problem, and it is right! This will fix your puffy eye problem. It is in fact medication for haemorrhoids, butt it's a great eye fix too! (spelling error intended:)
You could also fix a puffy eye with a cold spoon. Grab a spoon from your drawer, run it under cold water and when the metal is cold put it under your eye for a minute and your eye is back to normal.
3. Cold sores - the answer is licorice. I have not gone mad. An active ingredient in Licorice stops the virus dead in it's tracks. You need to make sure the licorice is real (some of the modern stuff is flavoured and not real!) You could sprinkle some licorice powder of the sore, or even make up a paste with some vegetable shortening. Don't take it too far though, there are side effects if you use too much over a prolonged amount of time.
The biggest no no when it comes to cold sores is touching them too much or picking. Keep your hands away!
4. If you wake up with a pink eye - rinse it out thoroughly to make sure nothing is in your eye, and grab some Visine allergy or red-eye eye drops. They work wonders, and almost instantly.
If you want something more natural try mixing 2 tablespoons of honey into 2 cups of boiling water and letting it cool. Then use this as an eye wash a couple of times a day. The honey has healing and antibacterial properties that will soothe the eye.
Some people say warm milk makes a good eye wash or compress.
These are tips I have found from regular every-day people, NOT medical practitioners!
In the lead up to your wedding you need to remember 5 things for healthy skin:
1. Drink plenty of water and hydrate your skin from the inside out
3. Eat well - plenty of green leafy vegies and as much colour on your plate as possible (I don't mean sauces etc!)
4. Get plenty of beauty sleep.
5. Don't let yourself get stressed! Join a Yoga class, grab a friend and head out for a walk.
If you have experienced a skin issue on an important day - tell us how you 'fixed' it. Or if there is a problem you have come across and don't know how you would fix it please use the comments section below and ask - i will hunt down the answer for you!
Have you entered our competition to Win A Luna Novias Wedding Gown yet?
And don't forget to become a Modern Wedding Bride for seven amazing planning tools, hundreds of inspirational images and DIY projects.