Oak & Linden offer a range of personalised services, including wedding styling, floristry, wedding planning, interior styling and colour consultancy. Style is everything at Oak & Linden, where they turn special into unforgettable!
Today we chat with creative director, Melissa Kuti.
Modern Wedding: Tell us a little bit about yourself
Melissa: Co-Director of Oak & Linden
We design both events and interior schemes.
I specialise in Wedding Styling, Floristry and Planning.
I love anything organic, elegant and understated. I'm always drawn to interesting textures and form. For me its all about attention to detail and finding a balance in my styling where the designs look abundant and luxurious without feeling too busy or over styled.
Modern Wedding: How did you get started as a stylist?
Melissa: I had grown up obsessed with interior design and always pursued it as a hobby. When living abroad in London, I had an opportunity as an interior designer to design an event and haven't looked back since! I started out mainly styling corporate but fell in love with weddings when I returned to Sydney help with my best friend's wedding. There's something much more personal and magical about styling weddings. It's a real honour to be part of a couple's big day!
Modern Wedding: What colours and colour palette combinations do you love for next 12 months?
Melissa: I love deep wine tones mixed in with blush and soft eggshells. Little pops of inky blues and gold with this also look spectacular! To me this season is as much about textures as it is about colour pallets. I cant get enough of all the rich velvets and delicate hand dyed silks that Im seeing pop up everywhere. You can also never go wrong with a dusty colour pallet of grey-blues and nudes when it comes to creating a romantic scheme.
Modern Wedding: What are your favourite new styling trends for 2017?
- Natural Abundance; Its all about layering of lush greenery with loads of candles, flowers and natural elements like fruits and flowers in footed compote vases.
- Modern Boho; This is a crisp look of layered whites with a hint of charcoal and brass elements.
- Cake buffets; Instead of a single big cake, couples are offering a sumptuous spread of various cakes on a dessert buffet. I love this! Such a crowd pleaser and perfect for those looking for a more relaxed style of wedding. Gone are the lolly jars and cake pops and in are the tarts, pies and cakes galore!!!
Modern Wedding: What are your five favourite styling elements to work with right now and why?
- Chiffon; I love using chiffon for long table runners that spill to the floor. The way chiffon ripples and bellows is just beautiful and perfect for that soft, romantic look.
- Grapevine; I use sand blasted grape vine a lot in my styling. It has such a beautiful shape and colour to it! Its perfect for adding flowers onto or using to hold table numbers.
- Anemones; I love white Anemones with navy centres. They're just so perfect as an accent flower and a lovely point of difference.
- Pillar Candles; when I find a venue that allow exposed flames, I go nuts on the candles and in this case more actually is more!!!
- Benches; I love a ceremony that uses benches. I love the clean line it creates and is wonderful for creating a communal feel for casual outdoor ceremonies.
- Lighting; to me this is as important as the flowers. Without the right lighting design its very easy to loose the wow factor.
Modern Wedding: What are your top 3 tips for brides wanting to create unique wedding style?
- Share what is meaningful to you as a couple. Forget the trends, forget the expectations - Do what feels like you! Everyone is unique so think of things that reflect your personality. Favours that can be part of the table styling are a great starting point.
- Look beyond the venue packages. Even if your venue comes with set styled packages, ask how you can customise them. Also, see if your venue allows for extended bump-in times. The more time there is to set-up, the more scope there will be to install styling beyond the typical table arrangements and linens.
- Look for inspiration in non-wedding related areas. Take notice of shop designs and window displays, look at interior design magazines, go on a hike or a coastal walk and take inspiration from the natural world. This is especially good when finding colour schemes.
Modern Wedding: If you were designing your own wedding, how would you style it?
Melissa: Layered, organic and intimate. I want lots of texture, layered height unstructured flower arrangements and found woods- all subtly lit by candle light. I also love the idea custom linens - crinkled dyed silk napkins on oversized rustic wooden tables and vintage chandeliers above head.