DIY WOODEN RING BOXES
Perfect for a relaxed, outdoor wedding, this hand-crafted wooden box has been customised with a painted and aged finish in soft turquoise blue.
You will need:
- Two contrasting colours of Derivan Acrylic paint
- Derivan Cracking medium
- Paint brushes
- Posca paint pen
- Cotton fabric
- Polyester cushion filling
- ½ m 3mm ribbon
- Unfinished wooden ring box, purchased online
- Natural beeswax
how to create:
1. Apply a base coat of white acrylic paint to both the inside and outside of the box.
2. Leave to dry.
3. Apply a coat of cracking medium and leave to dry for three hours. Note, the thicker the coat of cracking medium, the thicker and larger the cracks will be.
4. Once the cracking medium is dry, apply the aqua blue paint.
5. To make the two ring cushions, measure the internal dimensions of the box, cut out the fabric and stitch into small bags to fit the box. Fill both bags with fibre-fill
and stitch up the openings. Sew a length of 3mm ribbon to the centre of each cushion to secure the rings.
6. Finally, add your initials and wedding date or any decorative detail you want with a paint pen or rubber stamp. These details can go inside the box as well as on the lid. Leave to dry.
7. An optional step is to polish the box all over with a layer of natural coloured beeswax. This will give the box a subtle sheen and help preserve the wood.
We love to see your DIY creations #modernweddingmagazine for a chance to be featured!