When you think of honeymoon destinations, Kenya probably isn't the first place that comes to mind, but this east African country deserves a double take. Beautiful beaches, wide plains, dense forests and the most authentic safari in Africa definitely bring Kenya to the top of the travel bucket list. It seems that most people have very preconceived notions of what Kenya offers and what it is like, ourselves included. It wasn't until we got in touch with boutique travel agency Bench International, that we reconsidered our thoughts on Kenya, and moreover our thoughts on Kenya as a perfect honeymoon destination.
Bench International are the Africa travel experts with offices in Sydney, and parent company, Southern Cross Safaris located in Mombassa, Kenya. They've put together a list of five reasons Kenya makes for an amazing honeymoon destination.
1) Adventure Kenya offers an endless array of adventure and fun and there are plenty of options for couples who like a bit of activity. You can climb a mountain, head to a pristinely white beach, surf, and spot game, both inside the game parks and out! Kenya has limitless possibilities within her borders.
2) Hospitality Kenya offers world-class hospitality that often has a big focus on eco-tourism with accommodation ranging from 'budget and basic' to the dramatically luxurious. 'Glamping' in the African wilderness, sleeping in a four poster under the stars or enjoying dinner by a lantern filled Acacia tree are just some of the romantic experiences to be had on a honeymoon in Kenya.
3) Safari Kenya is the home of the wildlife safari, with the opportunity not only to see the Big Five (lion, leopard, rhino, elephant, buffalo), but also to witness the wildebeest migration, one of the natural wonders of the world! An African safari is often a once in a lifetime experience, and what could be more special than sharing it as newlyweds!
4) People Kenyan people are warm, friendly and hospitable. 'You will arrive as a visitor and leave as a friend'. With over 40 different ethnic African groups, Kenya is famous for its rich and diverse cultural heritage. This includes the Maasai tribe who has clung to their traditional way of life, making them a symbol of Kenyan culture. For couples who want to breath in a different culture, Kenya truly provides an unrivalled cultural experience.
5) Landscape The country has some of the most varying and picturesque landscapes in Africa. From the Great Rift Valley, with all that it encompasses, the lakes, birdlife and its dramatic presence to the unrivalled views of Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest free-standing mountain in the world. The coast of Kenya is also unrivalled with white sand beaches and azure waters.
Contact Bench International to start planning your romantic honeymoon in Kenya! They offer affordable all inclusive packages as well as tailor made trips to suit you and you and your love!
While the majority of Kenya is safe to visit, security may be of concern for some couples. Southern Cross Safaris operate safaris for Bench International in Kenya and are a very well established, experienced and highly professional. When on safari, guests are locally escorted and have the continual security of an experienced Southern Cross guide who has 24-hour contact with our head office so that they are fully informed at all times, avoiding any, very contained areas, that might be seen as a risk.
We recommend organising your honeymoon in Kenya through a reputable and well-informed Africa specialist like Bench International who receive regular updates from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). Whether you speak to your travel agent or directly to Bench International, make sure that you gather the facts and advice on where to travel within Kenya and check with the Australian government's travel advisory site smarttraveller.com.au