Rather than a last minute beauty blast, embark on a pampering journey to truly reveal the goddess within. We've come up with the ultimate beauty plan to help you turn from "Oh goodness!" to "Ahh Goddess".
As soon as you're engaged
As soon as the whole sliding-the-rock-on-your-finger shebang is over, you should ask yourself: how would you like to look when you walk down the aisle? "¨Do you want blemish-free skin? Healthy hair and nails? Glowing complexion? More energy than a Duracell battery?"¨A 30-minute brisk walk at least three times a week will have you feeling great overall, tone your body and boost your energy levels. The best way to maintain or lose weight before the wedding is to follow a healthy eating and exercise plan. Drink plenty of water and eat loads of fruits and vegies.
9 months to go
- Start thinking about how you want your hair on your wedding day. Get your hair in shape with regular conditioning. Visit your hairdresser every six weeks for a trim and a professional conditioning treatment.
- Use a cleanser, toner and moisturiser daily if you don't already do so. Find the one that suits your skin best - you want to ensure you have no adverse reactions closer to the wedding.
6 months to go
Now that you've mastered the basic 3-step skin care routine, you might like to add a few little extras.
- Identify any skin challenges -There are specialist products to solve any little problems.
- Treat yourself to a home facial once a week. As for the rest of your body, exfoliate and moisturise regularly.
- Book your makeup artist and hairstylist.
- It's a good idea to visit your dentist. Now is the time to straighten any teeth in need, get a professional clean and whitening. Your dentist will also ensure that a nagging toothache doesn't spoil your honeymoon.
4 months to go
Now it's time to really step up the pampering!
- Start having regular facials and massages - they will help you relax and get your skin in peak condition for the big day.
- Cut down on tea, coffee, alcohol and tobacco to ensure a bright smile and a cleansed system. Getting hitched is great motivation to kick off any little bad habits. Go on - you'll have more energy and will feel great!
3 months to go
- Start preparing your tan now. Most beauty salons and day spas offer various fake tanning treatments, including spray-on or airbrushed tans for an even coverage. If you're more of a DIY kind of girl, look for a reputable self-tanning lotion and practise application.
- Consider your bridal makeup. Check out our image gallery, our bridal makeup pinterest board or grab the latest Modern Hair & Beauty magazine and collect images and ideas for your makeup artist.
- Make an appointment to have a hair treatment, cut or colour. It is your last chance to make any radical changes.
- Apply a good hand and nail cream daily and use a nail strengthener every other day. Protect your hands and nails by wearing gloves when doing the dishes or gardening (or ask your honey to do it...). And don't forget to keep up the regular manicures at your favourite beauty salon.
- Keep up the exercise and healthy eating - it would be such a shame to give up now!
6 weeks to go
- Have a final hair trim and book in a massage.
- From now on, it's a good idea to have regular massages in the lead up to the wedding (we know we won't have to twist your arm for that one...).
- Also have a facial to keep your skin in tiptop condition.
4 weeks to go
- Organise a hair and makeup trial. Your locks and skin should now be more or less the same condition as on D-day. Don't forget to take along your headpiece, veil and any accessories you'll be wearing. Most importantly, don't leave the salon until you're absolutely satisfied with everything - there will be no time to change your mind on the day.
- Treat yourself to a pampering pedicure.
- Complete any drastic beauty procedures, like face peels, to give your skin time to calm down and have an even tone.
- Try to get plenty of rest - it's early nights and as much R&R as you can afford!
2 weeks to go
- Choose a fragrance to wear on your wedding day. You may even like to purchase a moisturiser or shower gel with the same scent to subtly layer your fragrance -this will ensure it endures the hectic schedule of a wedding.
- If your hair needs a colour touch-up, this is the time to do it. Don't leave it 'til the last minute as colours tend to look more natural a couple of weeks after they are done. While you're at the salon, spoil yourself with a deep conditioning treatment too if your locks need it.
- Go ahead, have another massage!
1 week to go
- Now is the time for hair removal - remember no pain, no gain!
- Eyelash tinting is also a good idea so you don't have to worry if you get a little teary.
3 days to go
- Have your final tanning session. Any later and your dress might not be white when you walk down the aisle...
- Treat any sneaky new blemishes with tea tree oil or your own blemish blaster.
1 day to go
Only one more sleep!
- Now is the best time for a manicure and pedicure.
- Don't forget to pack yourself a little hair and beauty kit for your chief bridesmaid or mum to keep for you on your wedding day.
- Pamper yourself with a wonderfully soothing massage. You have a busy day ahead of you so you need to be mentally and physically prepared.
- And lastly, try to get some sleep. It's your body's best beauty remedy.
On the day
Begin the day with some easy stretches and a glass of warm water with lemon juice, to get the liver working. "¨For a puffy eye fix, splash your face with cool water and apply a cold compress for ten minutes."¨Finally give yourself over to your professional hair stylist and makeup artist. With all the preparation you've put in, you're sure to look absolutely gorgeous!
Image 1: Hair by Robyn Saunders. Colour by Robyn Saunders. Makeup by Hendra. Styling by Claire Metcalf and Eddie Dos Santos. Photography by Stephanie King.