If you have decided on a beach wedding, a thoughtful bride will offer her female guests flip-flops for walking in the sand. But what will the female guests do with their dress shoes? This cute shoe bag is the perfect answer. Made from calico, felt and fuzzy pom-poms, the bags will be happily received and is certain to become a favourite with anyone who is shoe-obsessed.
This fashionable shoe bag is also perfect for travelling. Not only does it keep your shoes from soiling clothes in your luggage it also looks attractive and is a more environmentally friendly alternative to the plastic shopping bag.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 50cm of plain fabric in calico or cotton
- Two 75 cm lengths of cord or ribbon
- Pom-poms (optional)
- Shoe template
- Felt squares in colours of your choice
- Flat-backed rhinestones
- Marking pencil
- Craft glue
How to Create
- To make one bag cut two pieces of cotton fabric 42cm long x 29cm wide.
- Pin right sides together and sew three sides of the bag.
- To make the gusset for the drawstring before turning the bag inside out, fold over a 1cm hem and then an additional 6cm hem on the open end of the bag. Iron before pinning in place. Sew two lines of stitching approximately 15mm apart to create the gusset for the drawstring ribbon. Turn the bag inside out and iron. At the side seams between the two lines of stitching unpick the seam and thread the drawstring ribbon through.
- Download the shoe template, trace pattern onto coloured felt and cut out.
- Glue the cutout to the bag.
- For the shoe flower decoration cut two 3.5cm circles of felt and then with scissors cut out the petals. Stitch together and glue a rhinestone to the centre of the flower before gluing the flower to the shoe.
- Attach a safety pin to one end of each of the two ribbons and thread one length through the drawstring cavity from the right side and the other length from the left side. Knot the ends and glue or sew the pom-pom onto the knot.
- Pom-poms can be purchased ready-made or simply made with a pom-pom maker purchased from a craft store. The ones used in this project were hand- made.
TIP: Acrylic felt is more robust than wool felt and is more suitable and manageable for the narrow pieces of the shoe, especially the heel.