If your flower girl is very young and you have a feeling she will get bored carrying a basket of flowers or posy during the ceremony, make her this pretty fabric flower corsage to tie on her wrist with matching flowers for her shoes to make her feel special.
- 20cm cotton fabric
- 50cm ribbon
- 19mm button covering kit
- 3cm snap on hair clip
- needle and thread
- craft glue
How to create
- Trace template onto wrong side of fabric. You will need to cut out 36 single petals to make 8 large, 6 medium and 4 small complete petals.
- With right sides facing each other sew two single petals together leaving an opening at the base of the petal.
- Before turning petal inside out, make small cuts into the fabric as shown in diagram A. This helps the fabric take the shape of the petal when you turn it inside out.
- Once petal is turned out press with iron.
- Fold petal in half lengthwise then pin and stitch as shown in diagram B to create a permanent fold. This helps give the petal shape. Repeat this step with all remaining petals.
- The assembly is in three stages.
Stage one: You will need eight large petals. Sew them all together by hand to create a circle and provide a base for your flower. Stage two: Take the six medium sized petals and repeat the process. With this layer you may need to overlap the petals a little so the petals will start to stand up more.
Stage three: Take the four small petals and repeat the same process as stage two.
- Sew the three layers together.
- Cover a button with the same fabric and sew into the centre of the flower. Attach ribbon to the back of the flower.
For the shoe clip-on-flower, follow the same procedure as above but only use five small petals. To attach flower to the shoe, glue onto a snap-on- hairclip so it can be removed easily after the wedding.