There was so much love for The Great Glamour Gatsby inspired shoot featured in the current edition of Modern Wedding magazine, we thought we'd bring you a little more Gatsby in this step by step wedding hair guide. We teamed up with wedding hair extraordinaire Lianne Claire of Dream Reflection and photographer Hugo Garay to show you how to achieve 'vintage gatsby glamour' at home. This wedding hairstyle will suit medium - long hair lengths and those brides wanting a sophisticated, polished look.
Here's your step by step guide:
1. Start by blasting in some mousse (Clairol Professional Expand Volume Mousse is my favourite) to dry hair. Do this by sectioning the hair from bottom to top and apply the mousse to each section, blasting it with the dryer and then moving to the next.
2. Next curl the hair using a medium sized curling iron (Babyliss is a staple in my kit). Be sure to spray in a heat protectant to each section before curling (MUK. Hot muk Thermal Protector is great for locking out humidity) to save the condition of your hair as well as give the curl a bit more staying power. The direction of the curl will depend on whether you are more comfortable with the curl going in towards your face, or outwards. When I usually do this style I will part the hair to one side. On the shorter side (in this case the model's left) I have curled the hair in towards her face. Whereas on the opposite side of the part I have curled it away from her face, so it doesn't bother her throughout the day.
3. After each row of curls, spritz the hair with a good quality hairspray (such as Clairol Professional FIX Finishing Spray). Your choice of hairspray is very important for this type of style, as you need it to be dry and easy to brush through but of course giving enough hold for an entire day. Professional products do make a world of difference!
4. Once you have curled all of the hair, leave it to set (cool down). This is very important to the staying power of this style. So maybe use this time to do your makeup (I have used Harlotte Cosmetics for the beautiful Laura here) and then finish the styling once you're done.
5. Using a soft cushion brush (my go to tool is a Mason Pearson) very lightly brush out the curl. Start from the bottom and work your way up, almost flicking the hair with the brush as you work through the layers. For added volume and even a touch up of the hair colour I have used an amazing mineral hair powder called Spilt Milk (in Mocha Espresso) on the roots of the hair. For instructions on how to do this click here.
6. Now using your brush and fingers, work the style into the waves that you desire. If the hair is frizzing or just needs a bit of extra help to relax, use a serum on the ends very lightly (I used muk. Hot muk smoothing serum)
7. For any baby hairs around the hair line or even just fly aways throughout the style I used a gel/wax duo. This style is meant to be polished and pristine, so don't let yourself down by having fluffy bits! It's all about the finish. I have fallen in love with Clairol Professional Dual Ego Gel/Wax Duo (where have you been all my life!?)
8. You can tuck the shorter side of the part behind your ear or leave it out, it will depend on your face shape and how comfortable you are with your ears (a lot of my clients do not love their ears!) If you do this, make sure you use a bit of the gel/wax duo for extra staying power.
9. A final spritz of strong hairspray to lock in the style is now needed for longevity. This time I used Clairol Professional LOCK Finishing Spray Extra Strong, which holds without making you look like you are wearing a helmet!
10. For a finishing touch and a touch of bling, I attached a gorgeous vintage Bridal hair accessory that I feel really jazzed up a simple glamorous style. (Hair accessory by D'Wedding Station) Make sure that you use 3" strong, good quality bobby pins as these can be slightly heavy!
Special thanks to Lianne Claire for her instructions and expert tips!
Photography Hugo Garay Hair & Makeup Lianne Claire of Dream Reflection Hair Products Clairol Professional, Spilt Milk, MUK Makeup Products Harlotte Cosmetics Hair Accessory & Wedding Dress D'weddingstation Jewellery Nicole Winkler Designs Model Laura from Chadwicks