And so we say goodbye to 2013...and farewell to another year of 'I do' s ! As the year draws to a close we thought we'd look back on our top 10 favourite wedding trends of 2013...
1. Gatsby inspired weddings - With Baz Luhrmann as Director and Producer there was no doubt that The Great Gatsby movie would influence both fashion, style and in turn weddings. Gatsby inspired weddings saw a return to old world glamour with lavish styling and gowns reminiscent of the decadent era.
2. Headpieces - The Great Gatsby saw embellished headpieces fast become a favourite accessory for brides. Bespoke headpieces with lace, diamantes and even feathers made their way to adorn the crown of many a bride.
3. Mason jars, twine and all things DIY - The DIY trend saw no sign of abating in 2013 and we still saw plenty of hessian, mason jars and lots of twine.
4. Flowers, flowers and more flowers - 2013 was the year of fresh flowers and lots of them! This year we saw bigger bouquets, fresh floral crowns and with the work of floral designers like Preston Bailey and Karen Tran all over Pinterest and Facebook it's no surprise brides are opening their eyes to the floral possibilities when styling their wedding.
5. Ranunculus and Billy Buttons - When we think of to blooms of 2013 Ranunculus and Billy Buttons are the ones that come to mind. These flowers seemed to pop up in bouquets and button holes throughout the year.
6. Ombre - Ombre has been floating around for a little while, but it's only this year that we've seen brides really embrace all things ombre, from cakes and hair to bridesmaids dresses and decorations.
7. Dessert Buffet - If 2012 was year of the 'Lolly Buffet'/'Candy Bar' then 2013 was the year of the Dessert Buffet. We saw brides moving away from a table of lollies to something more substantial including multiple cakes, pies, cupcakes, brownies, cookies, chocolates and all things sweetly baked.
8. Metallics - Rose gold was huge on the runways and we saw plenty of gold, silver and rose gold translated into weddings. Far from a Vegas style palette, metallics were used in all new ways; mixed with white and used simplistically, metallics were part of an elegant and classic wedding theme.
9. Braids - Braided hairstyles in any capacity were a hit this year. Brides and Bridesmaids alike sported loose braids - up, down, to the side and on front - there were no limits to pretty braided locks!
10. Garden Weddings - Garden ceremonies followed by a reception on fresh green lawns under a canopy of fairy lights or lanterns was the dream-come-reality for many brides in 2013. Brides relished the opportunity to marry their loved one alongside the delights of Mother Nature.
And that's a wrap! Stay tuned for our 2014 trend predictions...
Happy New Year!
Image Credits from top-bottom : 1. + 2. The Great Gatsby courtesy Warner Bros. 3. Left: Gown + Accessories by Elizabeth De Varga, Suit by Formal Red, Photography by Xsight Right: Headpiece + Accessories by Wendy Louise Designs, Gown by Stellar Formalwear, Photography by Xsight 4. Left: Photography by Chris Cooney Right: Modern Wedding DIY Magazine 3rd Edition 5. Modern Wedding DIY Magazine 4th Edition 6. Karen Tran Floral Designs 7. Flowers by Peonies Floral Designer, Photography by Popcorn Photography 8. Left: Rose Hip Social Club Right: Peonies Floral Designer 9. Modern Wedding DIY Magazine 3rd Edition 10. Left: Original source unknown Right: Cake by Blissfully Sweet, Photography by Tindale Images 11. Photography by James Frost, Styling by Gail MacDiarmid 12. Left: Styled by Decorations by Jelena Right: Cake by Coco Cakes 13. Styled by B.Loved Weddings, Photography by Liesl Cheney 14. Left: Photography by Eddie Judd, Hair by Severin Hubert of The Hepburn Collection Right: Photography by Amanda K Photography, Flowers Martha E Harris 15. Our Labour of Love Photography