You're engaged!!! Now it's time to plan your special day. There are so many things to organise and think about before you get married and we don't want you stressing out unnecessarily. We've put together the ultimate wedding timeline so that you know exactly what needs to be done and when.
Once You're Engaged...
- Tell your family/closest friends that you are engaged
- Announce your engagement so that everyone can see that ring (probably on Insta #cute!)
- Discuss with your fiancé and settle on a budget for the wedding. Your budget breakdown will be similar to the following:
- Reception & Ceremony 36%
- Honeymoon & Flights 20%
- Brides Attire 10%
- Flowers & Decorations 10%
- Photography & Video 10%
- Music & Entertainment 6%
- Invitation & Bomboniere 4%
- Miscellaneous/ Extras 4%
- Research and discuss locations for your wedding
- Narrow down your potential dates to 2 or 3 for your wedding day
- Start working on a guest list and discussing your bridal party
12 Months Before...
- Decide your final date (for the hottest dates in 2020/2021, click here)
- Book your venue early to avoid heartbreak - this will help you cement a date as well
- Find and hire a photographer and/or a videographer that can work your wedding date - it's important to do this as soon as possible.
- Finalise the bridal party and officially ask them to be part of your bride tribe
- Start browsing for wedding dresses
- Start thinking about the type of cake (flavour, shape, size) and discuss with cake designers
- Start hair and skincare routine - for total beauty goals see more here
11 months before...
- Plan ceremony and reception decor, choose your colours/ theme
- Set up florist appointments to work on the types of bouquets and centerpieces needed for your special day
- If your venue does not include a caterer, then be sure to book one as early as possible to avoid unavailability on your date.
- Notify overseas guests of your wedding date plans to optimise their chance of attendance.
- Find your makeup artist and hairstylist and book in dates to ensure availability.
10 Months Before...
- Set up your gift registry
- Discuss and finalise your guest list
- Find an officiant to perform the ceremony
- Decide whether you will be having live music (e.g. a band, a DJ or a singer) or choosing your own music, making sure you set the mood for both your ceremony and reception.
9 Months before...
It's that exciting point in the wedding timeline where you get to order your bridal gown.
- Say YES to the dress
8 Months Before...
- Order accessories to match your colour theme and dress
- Order wedding rings and jewellery
- Send save the dates; online or in the mail
- Look into booking your honeymoon and research your location for fun activities to do together as a newlywed couple.
6 Months Before...
- Choose your floral designer
- It's time to book your honeymoon and accommodation for wedding night!
- Book wedding transport
- Discuss requirements with photographer and videographer in detail
- Discuss and finalise all details with venue and/or caterer
- Choose your wedding cake designer!
- Decide and order bridal party attire
4 Months Before...
- Book entertainment for the reception.
- Decide on ceremony music
- Book singers and musicians for the ceremony
- Order stationery - invitations, order of service, place cards, thank you cards, bomboniere and any other items
- Decide on ceremony - plan for bad weather arrangements if ceremony/reception is outside
3 Months Before...
- Select speech makers
- Get documentation from celebrant/minister, fill it out and return it
- Decide on specific music and songs to be played, especially for the first dance
- Buy shoes, underwear and honeymoon wardrobe
2 Months Before...
- Order your flowers
- Finalise guest list and send out invitations
- Collect wedding rings from jeweller
- Order wedding cake
- Hold pre-wedding photography shoot
6 Weeks Before...
- Record all RSVPs
- Confirm order with floral designer
- Have engagement ring cleaned by jeweller
4 Weeks Before...
- Finalise travel details for honeymoon - passport, insurance, visas, injections etc.
- Confirm all transport details
- Trial make-up and experiment with different hairstyles
- Final fittings for all bridal party
3 Weeks Before...
- Trial hairstyle with veil and or headwear.
- Makeup retrial if needed.
- Men's haircuts
- Confirm cake order
- Confirm final reception numbers and finalise seating plan
2 Weeks Before...
- Confirm photographer and videographer bookings
- Write all names on place cards
- Confirm entertainment bookings
- Order foreign currency and notify bank of travel
1 Week Before...
- Confirm arrangements for hair and makeup. Get plenty of sleep. Manicure 1-2 days before
- Clean engagement ring at home
- Confirm all cake details and delivery
- Confirm all reception details
- Full rehearsal of the ceremony. Write timetable for wedding day
- Confirm all photographer and videographer details
- Try on complete outfit. Arrange collection of hire wear. Break-in your wedding shoes
- Reconfirm transport details
- Confirm floral delivery arrangements
- Have place cards ready for distribution according to the seating plan
- Confirm entertainment details
- Pack for honeymoon and wedding night. Confirm overnight accommodation
Looking for more wedding planning tips? Click here to read up on our top tips to manage your wedding budget.