Happy Monday Modettes! And welcome to another edition of Essential Bridal Beauty. This week - how to apply eyeliner without looking like a goth!
"It's all about product choices," says Makeup Artist Julie Elton. "Once you know the correct tools of the trade, you can't go wrong." Now I, dear Modettes, like most people, usually use a kohl pencil, and then of course wonder why my eye makeup ends up all over my face by lunchtime. "Firstly kohl pencils aren't waterproof, and secondly they're wax-based, so they slip and slide all over the place. This is why you end up with panda eyes!" says Julie.
I love the look of liquid eyeliner, but it's so difficult to master. "If it's not waterproof, it will also end up a mess by the middle of the day."
Getting a great smear-proof, smudge-proof look just requires a few simple steps:
1. Prepare your eye area with a non-oily eye makeup remover. "Firstly, never use any oil-based products near your eyes before applying eye makeup as it leaves a residue which can cause your eye makeup to run and smear."
2. Never put foundation on your eye area. "Foundation has an oil base, which will leave an oily residue," says Julie. "Use an eye paint like M.A.C Paint Pots. 'Painterly' is a great colour for almost every skintone. It's a lovely nude pink. Run this product all over the eye area and underneath your bottom lashline. Think of it as creating a barrier against smudges." It will also even out your veiny eyelid and the bluish tone underneath your eyes as well. "Now you've got the perfect canvas to start to work with."
3. Use the eye shadows of your choice, make sure to blend well. "Try sable haired brushes, as they're nice and gentle on the delicate eye area," says Julie.
4. Choose the right product to create the perfect line, "My favourite product to create a beautiful line along the top and bottom lashes is M.A.C FluidLine," says Julie. "It's a gel that has a beautiful sheen to it, so you don't get that chalky effect where it dries and cracks." Try BlackTrack for a classic look, or Rich Ground (a Cinnamon colour) which is gorgeous for making blue eyes pop.
5. The tools of the trade are crucial for the right look. "You'll need an angled brush, shaped like a triangle," says Julie. "Stretch your skin in the outer corner of your eye, so you get a smooth ride for the brush." Start from the outside corner and run the brush inwards, towards your nose. To line the inner rim of your eye, you can use the same product, you'll just need a smaller brush.
6. Lovely lashes are just a step away. "Use a waterproof mascara," says Julie. "Once it's on and dry there will be no leaking, smudging, flaking or smearing." Julie loves LancÃ´me Définicils Mascara and M.A.C SlashProof Mascara. Maybelline is cost effective and always a winner when it comes to mascara.
Enjoy creating your new clean lines and we hope this helps you get gorgeous with easy eyeliner!
Looking for more Essential Bridal Beauty? Why not check out Autumn Winter 2011 Makeup Trends and Beautiful Eyes. After something completely different? Take a look at Hippie Chic Wedding Theme and Ravishing Red Wedding Theme.
p.s. Become a Modern Wedding Member for loads more tips, tricks and seven essential planning tools to make planning your wedding a cinch!