Music and entertainment can really make or break your reception and ceremony, so consider your options carefully and find the perfect music treat for your guests.
Nothing creates a buzzing and festive atmosphere like live music. Having a band or live musical act is a real treat for your guests and will have them reminiscing about your big day for years to come.
- Look at least six months in advance.
- Ask friends, relatives, your caterers, photographers, banquet managers and event coordinators for suggestions.
- See prospective bands live, if possible.
- Ask to see a list of their repertoire. Agree on a list of music and songs they are to perform, and confirm the general style of music.
- If you want a particular vocalist to perform at your wedding, ensure your contract states the confirmation of that specific vocalist.
- The contract should list:"¨- The terms and conditions of the hiring. "¨- The arrival and departures times"¨- Set-up and break times "¨- Transportation arrangements"¨- Equipment provisions "¨- Liability-insurance coverage.
It is an absolute must that you feed the band members during the celebrations, so check with your venue or caterer about vendor or supplier meals and prices.
Live music is not your only option. A DJ (disc jockey) can oversee the music at your reception, and provide music, sound and lighting equipment. It's also easier to ask a DJ to extend his playing hours if you want to party longer than originally planned."¨When you initially meet with your DJ, you can request them to source particular songs they may not already have in their selection. Good DJ's are booked early, so arrange an appointment to meet the DJ and review his/her music titles well in advance of your wedding day. "¨"¨Our tip: Give your musicians or DJ directions and a map showing your venue. You don't want them arriving late or at the wrong place!
To wow your guests why not surprise them with fireworks or a laser light show? Or you can arrange fire breathers, jugglers or stilt walkers to greet guests on arrival. For a Hollywood-style production book cabaret or flamenco dancers, mime artists and magicians, comedians, movie-star impersonators and even snake and sword acts. It's your wedding and your party, so have the time of your life!