It is often something simple and unexpected that sticks in your mind. This occurred while I was working on a large flower project for the next edition of Modern Wedding DIY. We all love the beauty of flowers and know that some are more outstanding than others but I found that even the well known and often much maligned carnation can be styled into something unexpectedly beautiful. Amongst buckets of colourful and exotic flowers on my studio floor, a bunch of soft pink pixie carnations catches my eye. They are so pretty, dainty and unassuming that I feel that I can create something with them that will reveal the carnation's simple beauty. I decide to make a floral heart for Valentine's Day by simply using them alone without any other blooms so they can shine in their own right.
To create your own heart for the love of your life, just follow the easy step-by-step tutorial.
- Floral foam heart (floral foam hearts can be purchased from your local florist or floral sundries supplier)
- Sharp scissors or secateurs
- A vessel of water to soak the floral foam
- Lots of carnations (Pixie carnations were used for this project)
How to create:
1. Place the floral foam heart in a bucket of water and let it sink to the bottom so it is properly soaked.
2. While the heart is soaking, prep the flowers. Trim the stems to approximately 4cms long cutting them at an angle for extra stabbing power. Remove any bruised petals.
3. Remove the foam heart from the water, drain and place on a flat working surface.
4. Starting at the top of the heart, push the flower stems into the foam at a uniform depth all around the outside edge.
5. Continue inserting the carnations until you have completely covered the heart.
6. When finished, store in a cool place (not the refrigerator). When ready to give it to your Valentine, don't forget to adorn it with a note and some tender words.
Check out more of our DIY Valentines Day projects to spread the love!
Happy Valentines Day - Enjoy!
Editor Modern Wedding DIY