I T ' S A S I G N
Add some hand-made and heartfelt charm into your wedding or next gift with a fun DIY Chalkboard Sign. These bespoke chalkboards are so sweet, simple and super easy to make!
How to make your DIY Chalkboard Sign
You will need:
- Canvas art board
- Black chalkboard paint
- Paint brush
- Mineral turpentine
- White graphite tracing paper
- White charcoal pencil
- Pencil sharpener
- White chalk
- Cotton buds
- Hair spray
How to create:
1. Paint the canvas art board with two coats of blackboard paint and leave to dry overnight.
2. Search online for free fonts and graphics. Select your favourites and download.
3. Decide on the text and set up a new document with a ‘landscape’ orientation in Word. Using a large font size, type in the words and print out.
4. Print any graphics for the board.
5. Cut the text and graphics from the printouts so they can be arranged on the board in your preferred layout. Photograph the mocked up layout as a reference. See image 1.
6. Starting from the centre and working with one part of the design at a time, slide a piece of graphite paper (with the graphite part facing downwards) under a section of the design and trace it onto the blackboard with a sharp pencil.
7. Remove the paper to reveal a fine outline of the design. See image 2.
8. For the finer details, use a white charcoal pencil to outline before filling in. The chalk can be used for the banner, numbers and border. Use a cotton bud to erase any errors. See image 3.
9. When the design is complete, blow away any chalk dust and spray the board with hair spray to set the chalk.