Brides in Australia are spoilt for choice when it comes to venues. You can choose from a host of luxurious hotels, chic restaurants, historic homes, function centres and outdoor locations that lend a little something special to your big day."¨With so many venues to choose from, it can be difficult to know where to begin. It's a good idea to start with style - what venues complement the kind of reception that you envisage having?
- Can cater for anywhere from 20 to 500 guests
- Can usually handle most details for you - not only the room and the food, entertainment, cars, flowers, cake, photography, décor and even the hotel reservations for the wedding night. You may still like to arrange some of the details yourself.
- Functions manager will answer any questions you have about variables like flowers, the MC, the entertainment - or any element you may wish to organise on your own.
- You may have the option of holding the ceremony in the grounds.
- Usually function centres have beautiful gardens and settings for photography.
Four & Five Star Hotels
Surround yourself with luxury in one of the many beautiful four and five star hotels the major cities have to offer.
- Fabulous service and food
- Most are situated centrally
- Many boast gorgeous city views
- A host of options for your guests for afterwards
- Hotels may also offer packages that include accommodation for the bridal couple on the evening of their wedding. You may be offered late check-outs, champagne breakfasts, chocolates, limousine transfers to the airport, bath goodies and spa treatments... How will you ever manage?
Clubs and restaurants
Sports and RSL clubs, dance clubs, cultural centres, international restaurants, bistros and local pubs all present a unique environment for the intending bride and groom."¨Restaurants are intimate and relaxed, and the choice of style is almost without limit. You might like a rustic country atmosphere in a quiet corner of the suburbs, or a chic buzz in the heart of the city."¨You might like to transform your local pub's beer garden into a Tuscan courtyard, replete with fabulous provincial Italian food and wines? "¨Maybe you and your local surf-club staff can reinvent a plain function room into a tropical hideaway brimming with frangipanis and fronds? PiÃ±a colada, anyone?
Halls are great if you have some time on your hands. They are a blank canvas so think big and create your wedding wonderland. Keep in mind before you book:
- Planning is all in your hands
- You will save money on venue costs
- You will need to hire a caterer (check out kitchen facilities before deciding on which hall) however many caterers will be able to put on excellent nibbles with minimum gear - or bring their own equipment for a feast of more epic proportions.
Historic Venues, Galleries, Cultural & Sporting Venues
We're not talking about the local footie club, gals. Think: the Opera House, a world-class golf club or an inner-city art gallery. You may be able to include a customised tour of the venue or some entertainment on the location's unique history. You don't have to go far to find stunning historic locations for your reception, but do consider the possibility of going out of town for a real taste of pastoral elegance.
Gardens & Beaches
Nothing celebrates the Australian culture better than an outdoor reception - and with some of the most stunning gardens, beaches and vineyards in the world, there's no shortage of choice when it comes to al fresco festivities.
- Similar to setting up in a hall - you'll have to work out all the details yourself.
- Arresting views and natural backdrops for your photos are the reward for all the effort.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing your venue:"¨"¨Formality Will your wedding be a casual cocktail do or more of a sumptuous soiree?"¨Numbers Can everyone fit within the allocated space?"¨Accessibility Be sure to choose a venue that caters to everyone's needs."¨Time Will your wedding be an evening event or an afternoon affair?"¨Season A barefoot beach party in June may not be quite the triumph of event planning you were hoping for!"¨Location The nearer the ceremony location, the better for all."¨Style Last, but certainly not least, does your venue suit your personal brand of fabulousness?