Photography by Max and Friends
Nothing is more luminous than a bride on her wedding day. The excitement of a wedding and marrying the man of your dreams is enough to make any woman shine from the inside out. But to look your absolute glowing best, there are things you can do on the road to your wedding day which can help. We share our tips for what brides should do and when to get their wedding glow on!
Five to six months to go...
Whether you've just gotten engaged or you've been well on the road to your dream wedding, four to six month prior to the big day is a good time to start thinking about what you want to look like and how you're going to get there.
- If you haven't done so yet, now is the time to start looking for bridal beauty look. Create a mood board with magazine clippings of your favourite looks or start your big day pinboard and scour the internet for inspiration.
- Take a really good look at your skin and get ready to tackle any major skin concerns head on! Fine lines, acne, scarring, redness... now is the time to start a skin regimen to minimise these blemishes. If you can, head to a dermatologist and ask about their recommendations for treatment or do lots of your own reading and research to see what products can help you. We find it really helpful to read reviews from people who have tried and tested the product and remember, always read the instructions and do a patch test to make sure the product won't irritate you! Once you've got your plan sorted, start as soon as you can to give yourself plenty of time to see the products work!
- Set your hair length goal. If you've got an idea of how you want your hair styled for your big day talk to your salon about what length is needed to get that style. It's important to start thinking about this now so that you can start growing your hair if you need to. If you're not sure about how you want your hair styled, start growing it anyway! It's easier to get it cut to length at short notice than it is to add length.
Give yourself enough time to get the locks you want! Photography by Finch & Oak
Four months to go...
- Find your hair and make-up dream team! Check out online supplier directories to see who is out there and be sure to check out their websites to view a portfolio of their work. Also make sure that you book your hair and makeup trial as soon as you can as good hair and makeup teams get booked out fast!
- Get your facial on! Facials and resurfacing treatments are a great booster for luminous skin. Try them well in advance so to make sure they work well with your skin and plan another cycle closer to the big day! For cost and glow effectiveness - we recommend Reversaderm by Dr. LeWinn's which is a two week, 5-step resurfacing treatment designed to reveal your most beautiful looking skin. It is stocked at Priceline Pharmacies and many other retailers in Australia - too easy!
Three months to go...
- Consider your brows! They frame your face so it's important to get the shape just right. There shouldn't be any pre-wedding events taking place around this time so it is the perfect time to let your brows grow out and get them reshaped.
- Ace your tan! If you want to look bronzed (and it's perfectly fine if you don't) a fake tan is the only safe way to do it. The only way to make sure your tan is absolutely even is by using the help of professionals. This is super important if you are wearing a low back as you will be revealing hard to fake-tan places! Unless you're a fake tan regular, chances are you'll need to try somewhere new. Start of by doing your research. Ask people you know if they have any recommendations and try the tan out as soon as you can! This way if it doesn't work out, you have plenty of time to try others.
One month to go...
- Experiment with lashes! Extensions? Falsies? Au Naturel? If you're not used to wearing lashes, there is a chance that you might find them uncomfortable and the last thing you want is to be uncomfortable on your big day! The good news is, many people can get used to the feeling so if you love the big lash look, practice wearing them now. If you decide that lash extensions are the way you want to go, make a booking to get them done the week of your wedding.
- Speaking of bookings. Now is a good time to make all of your final appointments! Think final hair cut and colour, tan, mani-pedi, brow shaping and relaxing spa if you can! Read on for our recommendations of when!
- Get those whites pearly! You'll be smiling all day and night so you'll want it to be as beautiful and bright as ever. Book in for a professional whitening session or start using an at home treatment. Also do your best
You'll be all smiles - make sure it's pearly white! Photography by Van Middleton
Two weeks to go...
- Remember that amazing facial treatment you experimented with few months ago? Now is the time to use it again and put your freshest face forward! Just be mindful of how your skin recovered from your last use and allow enough time for your skin to be renewed for your big day!
- Finalise your cut and colour. It's also a good idea to bring a picture of the hairstyle you'll be wearing to the appointment so that your hairstylist can suggest a cut and colour that will compliment the style best. For example, if you're wearing your hair up or in braids, a multi-dimensional colour will really show the hairstyle off.
Photography by Jack and Jem Photography
One week to go...
- What you put inside will show on the outside, so now is the time to practise restraint! Minimise dehydrating food and drinks to keep your skin looking dewy and do your best to avoid coffee and tea to keep your smile bright!
- Get your brows shaped to perfection for your big day. Also consider getting them tinted for a natural and full look. Just bear in mind that your brows will look quite strong for a day or so after the tint so schedule this is a few days before your big day.
- Book in for your final spray-tan and remember to moisturise everyday to keep it looking fresh!
If you're opting for a pop of colour on your fingers, match it to your decor! Photography Rebecca Williams Photography
One day to go...
- Lots of eyes (and lenses) will be focused on your shiny new ring so make sure your hands and nails are looking good! Book in for a mani-pedi or call on your bridesmaids to help you at home. Most brides choose a neutral shade for a classic look but we've seen more and more brides opt for a fun pop of colour!
- Before you go to bed, lather your hands and feet in moisturiser and slip into mani-pedi socks and gloves. They'll work wonders while you sleep and leave your hands and feet looking soft and supple.
- SLEEP! Stress is one of the worst things you can do for your skin and sleep is one of the best so make sure you get your 8 hours the night before! If your feeling a little bit special (and you should be!) book into a spa for massage for an ultimate relaxing treat!
Be sure to prep your hair the morning of according to your hairstylist's instructions! Photography by Kreativ Wedding
The Big Day (yay!)
- Give your hair a good wash and use a wash out gloss treatment in the shower. Most hairstylists will need you to have freshly washed, non-styled hair the morning of but just double check with them if there are any further instructions.
- Relax and enjoy your wedding day! There is nothing more beautiful than a happy bride!
Photography by Callaway Gable
What are you waiting for!? Get started on your beauty countdown with step one and hop in pinterest and create your inspiration board! Dr. LeWinn's and Reversaderm are giving brides the chance to win their way to a fresh face by simply creating a wedding inspiration board on Pinterest! Just make sure 'Reversaderm' in the pinboard title, and use the hashtag #mybigday to go into the draw to win a beauty consultation with a Dr. LeWinn’s skincare specialist, as well as the full Reversaderm collection for your entire bridal party! Ten runners up will receive a 2-week starter set (one cycle of treatment). So go on, make those pins count and be on your way to your best big day skin with Dr. LeWinn's! Full terms and conditions can be found here.
** UPDATE **
This competition is now closed. Please see the following link for winners details.
Enjoy your pinning and primping brides!