Your bridesmaid dresses need to fit in with your overall wedding theme, however do keep in mind that your best friends will be wearing it, so be kind. A puffy sleeve, apricot meringue-style concoction may go brilliantly with your peaches and cream theme, but it may land you with less friends.
Here are some tips to bridesmaid dress shopping.
- Where possible take your chosen maids with you shopping
- Take into consideration all their body shapes and insecurities. They may not all look great in a figure-hugging mini. Some brides opt for a common colour and allow the dresses to vary in style, so as to match the varying shapes and personalities.
- Since most bridesmaids buy their own outfits, keep the price to a minimum. A good amount to stick to is $250, less would, of course, be better.
- Be wise about colour - yellow may be sunny and happy, but looks terrible on some skin tones. Ask your bridesmaids if there are any colours they want to avoid. You can't go wrong with deep colours or black.
- Bridesmaids dresses can be floor length, cocktail length or even a skirt and top - all are appropriate even at formal weddings.
- Splashes of colour are gracing the aisles, with either the whole dress in a colour or an accent with ribbon, beading or other smaller detail.
- Cocktail style dresses are cost effective for bridesmaids as they are likely to wear them again after your big day.